Sunday, July 3, 2011

Trying to Travel

We plan to fly to Boston at the end of July. As anyone who has traveled with kids knows, this takes a little advanced prep. Our situation requires even more planning as we try to juggle one wheelchair, one stroller, carry on luggage and two kids. Fortunately Danielle now uses a booster seat so we don't have the nightmare of lugging a carseat as well.

We've taken the girls to New England and California in the past so both are experienced travelers. However, its been 18 months since we've been on a plane. For Danielle, that's a third of her lifetime. She really doesn't remember the process.

It helps to prepare her for new experiences by reading books. Books we'll read before the trip include The Noisy Airplane Ride and Going On A Plane . We have a beautiful board book that was Amanda's called Planes. The Noisy Airplane Ride is perfect for Danielle sho has a fear of unknown noises. It goes through each step of the flight, describing the noises you'll hear.

Danielle represents all of the challenges of travelling with a typical four year  old - she gets bored, restless and grumpy. She talks too loud on the plane or she wants to run through the airport. Or, worse, she wants to be carried. She's too big for a stroller now so I've bought her a special carry on of her own, Trunki. In theory a child should be able to ride on the Trunki - even be pulled through the airport if necessary.  It comes in various colors. She would have liked red, but I purchased blue due to a structural issue.

I chose the Terrence over the Ruby model because the red has two handles where the "seat" is. I couldn't envision Danielle sitting comfortably on those handles. I wanted to avoid ending up with one more piece of luggage for me or Kevin to carry. The Ruby is undeniably cuter, looking a bit like a ladybug. I've seen a cow model for sale on EBay. I think it would be great if Melissa & Doug made these 1) in more animal patterns and 2) for larger kids. Danielle is at the high end for this and we may only get one trip out of it as a ride on. Hopefully she will continue to use it as her carry on.

I'll pack a variety of toys and snacks to occupy her in the airport while we wait and on the plane. Toys will include Polly Pockets, an Olivia Carnival Play Set, ColorWonder Disney Princess Coloring Set and Dover Little Sticker books (Little Airport and Beach). Some are familiar, others are new. I'll open all of the new toys before I pack so that we're not fussing with packaging on the plane. You can't bring a wrapped gift in your carry on luggage, but I want to surprise her with some of these so I'll roll them into spare clothes. Maybe I can bring a few colored lunch bags and slip them inside without her noticing once we're onboard. I also know that the interior of the plane provides its own fun - light switches, headphones with music she can control, magazines to play "I Spy" with and, of course, barf bag puppets!

Danielle has inherited Amanda's Nintendo DS. She has one game of her own, Smart Girl PlayHouse. I bought a second SmartGirl game and her own headphones as as surprise.  I also ordered a car charger for the DS - and one for the IPad as well. That way they can entertain themselves during the long car rides between our families' houses. I like them to look out the windows and talk to us, but realistically we need a back up plan.

Right now I have no other special preparations for Danielle. I think that if she understands the process she'll enjoy it - and maybe, just maybe, we will too!

For my Listmania List go to Complete Packing


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.