Monday, July 4, 2011

We're going to Wellfleet!

Wellfleet, Massachusetts is a tiny town at the end of Cape Cod with a very funny Fourth of July parade. I wish I could be there to see it this year. It is a real, old time parade with cub scouts marching and every rescue vehicle the town owns.

It also typically features any one who wants to walk down Main Street wearing a silly costume. We took Amanda years ago. That year there was a lawn mower shaped like clam that spat water - Amanda loved it. She also loved the motorcyclist who did several "wheelies" in front of her. There were political protesters, pirates, belly dancers and drag queens marching. Like I said, I real old time small town parade..

Sallie & family, age 3 or 4
In  a few weeks we'll be in Wellfleet, visiting my father. When I was a child we rented a tiny cottage on the dunes for two weeks every summer.  A lot of the things that I loved as a kid are now accessible so I can share them with both girls.

As kids we snuck across the dunes from the cottage we rented and tramped around the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp. Amanda obviously isn't about to sneak across any sand dunes, but the trail is accessible through the Marconi Station parking lot.  It's about a 1-1/2 mile boardwalk that winds through the trees and marshy areas.  Most of it should be accessible for Amanda.  It is near the Marconi site on Route 6A in Wellfleet. It is also near where my mother's ashes are scattered.

The Marconi site is wheelchair accessible and has a great view of the Atlantic.  In 1903 Marconi transmitted the first  two-way, transatlantic wireless messages between the president of the United States and the king of England from this location. Not that my kids will care, but it is a nice place to walk and admire the ocean.

We'll explore the tiny center of Wellfleet. I don't think I'll risk bringing a wheelchair into any of the art galleries, but Emack & Bolios, "a Nice Cream Place", is outside and should be easy to access. I also don't think we can get Amanda into the local candy store, The Chocolate Sparrow, but I doubt I'll be able to keep Danielle out!

When we were kids we hunted for fiddler crabs under Uncle Tim's bridge at low tide. The trick is to find a hole and poke a stick in behind the hole. The crab will run out and - if you are quick & very brave- you can grab it without getting your fingers pinched by the big claw. The bridge leads to a small island conservation area and a few houses. The island isn't accessible, having only sand paths, but the bridge is fun to cross and I should be able to navigate Amanda on to it. Danielle will love playing pirate on the island.

I’m so excited that Cape Cod beaches are becoming increasingly accessible!  I haven't been able to bring Amanda to a beach since she was little. Many of the beaches have accessible parking, but no way to get to the beach due to high dunes, stairs, etc. Now several have ramps. Mayo Beach in the center of Wellfleet has a ramp. And, when we're at the harbor we can watch the fishing boats and get some soft serve ice cream at was The Harbor Freeze - hopefully its still there! 

Of course, we'll go out for seafood. Being allergic to most shellfish I'm limited to fried clams (too bad, huh?) There was a wonderful little clam shack at the end of LeCount Hollow Rd in South Wellfleet, but it disappeared years ago. Now we stop by PJ's Family Restaurant. The food is good, but not healthy. You really can't expect a great salad at a place that specializes in fried food and ice cream! My mouth is already watering...



For fun, check out these Wellfleet webcams - maybe you'll see us on one in a few weeks! http://www.mywellfleet.com/

I got great information about Cape Cod Accessibility through these sites:








No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.