Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trying to Travel - Part Three - Pack, Pack, Pack!

The Trunki and the wheelchair backpack have both arrived! They look great. Danielle has been scooting around the house on the Trunki for days. She's literally a blur on it! And I love the compact, versatile wheelchair backpack.
Now the big questions: what to pack and how. We're visiting family for two weeks. It seems like a long time and my instinct is to pack everything we might possibly need. I know myself well enough to know that I need to pre-pack once so I can weed out the unnecessary stuff.

First I collect everything I'm positive we absolutely can't live without. And then, I ask myself -do you really need to carry that? Even a cheap hotel will normally provide a hair-dryer and iron if you ask. And, at least in the U.S., have you ever stayed anywhere that didn't have a clock? Most rentals and hotels have access to a washer & dryer - our families will certainly let us use theirs. I also assume that we can use whatever soap & shampoo is available as well as their towels.

There are lots of sites with very long suggested packing lists. This isn't one of them. I believe that when you are traveling within the U.S. and Canada you can pick up most of the things you need easily. I don't see the point in packing sunscreen that may explode all over your suitcase when you can buy some at your destination. I think its funny that people will spend $5 for a cup of coffee in the airport, but balk at spending the same on sunscreen when they "already have it at home." Leave it at home - it's not going to go bad while you're away and you can use it when you return. Worst case, you leave a little leftover lotion with your hosts or throw it in the trash before you head home.

People also seem to forget that they already have one outfit with them that they don't need to pack - the one they wear on the plane. My strategy is to wear the bulkiest items on the plane if you can. For instance, wear your jeans and a sweatshirt or sweater rather than pack them. Remember, despite the temperature outside the plane will be climate controlled. Wear your sneakers or boots. Definitely wear socks since you'll have to take your shoes off at security. You don't want to end up barefoot on a dirty airport floor because you wore your nicest pair of sandals.

Most people don't believe it, but I can typically squeeze everything for a family of four into one large suitcase and two or three carry-ons. Here is the final packing plan for each person:
  • 2 additional bottoms (pants, shorts or skirts)
  • 3-4 additional tops (each should coordinate with at least two the bottoms)
  • OR 4 dresses for each girl (neither wears shorts or pants much)
  • 1 light jacket or sweater if not worn on the plane
  • 1 additional pair of shoes per person (maximum 2 pairs per)
  • 4 sets of undergarments, including socks
  • 1 swim suit
  • 1 outfit to relax & sleep in
  • limited toiletries: my contact solution & case, small flat iron, 2 razors, deodorant, our toothbrushes, combs & brushes
  • Chargers (phone, camera, etc.)

In my carry-on tote (my old diaper bag) I'll bring:

  •  Phone, wallet, sunglasses, keys, etc.
  • Boarding passes
  • Spare glasses & reading glasses
  • Quart sized Ziploc bag of medicines
  • A few bandaids
  • Digital camera

 In Amanda's new backpack: 

  •  1 change of clothes for each girl
  • small toys, crayons & books
  • snacks for both
  • a sippy cup for Amanda (outer side pocket)
  • Amanda's Ipad (outside back pocket)
  • Danielle's Nintendo DS (outer side pocket)
  • headphones for both girls
  • Book or magazine


All of THIS


Only filled the wheelchair backpack HALF way!
Things I should pack (according to experts) but don’t typically:

  • Bath robes (we don't own any)
  • Flip-flops
  • Rain Gear (we're not the type to go tramping around in the rain)
  • Sewing kit
  • Dress clothes
  • Flashlight
  • Travel alarm clock
  • Hats & sunscreen
  • Hostess Gifts (I send something when I get back or buy something there)
I'll let Danielle pack her Trunki. She can bring her own favorite things... whatever they are! Kevin's responsibility is to push Amanda. I don't think its fair to ask him to lug a carry-on as well. I may get stuck carrying the Trunki - or worse, Danielle & the Trunki! We'll just have to see how that works out. I hope she's as fast on it at the airport as she has been at home!

1 comment :

  1. Subio just asked me, "What's grey and has a trunk?" "A mouse on vacation!"

    We always travel very light with the same philosophy--you can buy it there if you forgot it. We actually leave things at places we visit more than once a year, like jammies and t-shirts!

    I finally donated the bathrobes that have moved across the globe at least 3 times--we never wear them!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.