Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lela's Friends Forever Necklace...My Halloween DIY Adventures

Lela Friends Forever Necklace|Lela Pendant DIY|Lela necklace tutorial|Lela Teen Beach Movie
I have several friends who are amazing seamstresses. They make their children adorable outfits and fabulous Halloween costumes.

I can't sew. At all. I consider replacing a button a major accomplishment. I normally hope that the dry cleaners will notice missing buttons and replace them for me.

Several year ago I was tasked with making Amanda a "Jane Jetson" costume for a school performance. I made it with felt, glue and hem tape. I was extremely proud of it - until I saw photos of her. Poor child looked like she was wrapped in a pink trash bag. Lesson learned.

However as much as I detest actual sewing, I love creating costume accessories. Last year Danielle wanted to be The Scarlet Witch from Superhero Squad. She went trick or treating with her friend who dressed as Iron Man and Kevin who was extremely happy to play Wolverine.

Her costume was a shopping masterpiece. I found a red leotard, red cape and red boots. She had long red gloves. All she needed was the headdress. Yeah! A project for me. I looked it up on the web. I was a teensy bit disturbed to find examples in "adult cos-play".  Sounded a little kinky for a kid's Halloween costume. However I was able to copy the shape, not in vinyl, but in more age-appropriate stiffened red felt. The felt cost less than $1 at Hobby Lobby.

I bought her a Marvel Avengers trick or treat bag and hoped that when she showed up with Iron Man & Wolverine people would understand she was a superhero. I don't think anyone knew who she was. I don't think she cared. She was thrilled with her costume.

This year Danielle wants to be Lela from Teen Beach Movie. However, she doesn't want to wear the readily available pink biker chick outfit. Oh no, my darling daughter wants to dress like Lela from the most romantic scene in the movie, when she sings "Falling for Ya".Who can blame her? Grace Phipps is exquisite in this role - and she falls into Ross Lynch's arms. Little girl Heaven on Earth.

To be the perfect Lela we needed to track down a red polka dot sundress. Happily I found a wonderful seamstress on Etsy, Marie of SewCreationsBoutique, who made a darling retro red polka dot dress for about the price of the off the rack pink biker outfit.


Then all Danielle needed were the accessories. I vetoed super high black pumps (too hard to walk around the neighborhood in) and we compromised on black patent ballet flats. A black stain headband for her hair and we're almost there. However, we need one critical element - the Friends Forever necklace.

This adorable necklace mimics the flower on Mack's surfboard. Mack is the other female lead, played by Maia Mitchell. Mack and Lela become best friends and in one of the final scenes Lela gives Mack her pearl necklace.

Turns out the necklace in the movie was custom-made by the Art Department and there are no replicas for sale anywhere. Trust me, I looked! I even contacted Disney directly.

So, I decided to make one. How hard could it be, right?

 I had a bit of green polymer clay on hand. Don't ask me why. I've never made anything with polymer clay. I think I had it because it only cost 64 cents and I thought I might need it some day. Well, today was that day.

If you want to make your own: 
If you want to make your own, it's very easy! Each pendant will take 45 minutes to an hour to create.

I molded a tiny copy in green clay, having no idea how to work with it at all. Thankfully its very forgiving. I've worked with clay doing a bit of pottery so I guessed. My tools included a butter knife, a chop stick, a pen and a nail file. (I've since discovered that polymer clay isn't food safe. If you use a knife with this clay it should become your dedicated polymer clay knife - don't use it to frost a cake later.)


I made a sort of four leaf clover shape and pressed the tip of the chopstick in to create the flower petals. Next I made an elongated diamond for the background, again using the chopstick to create an indentation. After I created the two layers, I scored each of them with fine lines using the tip of the file and stuck them together.Finally I made a tiny ball and stuck it on for the center of the flower.

I made a thin rectangle with tapered ends for the loop to attach the pendant to the necklace. I pressed the layers together and touched up the details with the tip of a pen. Then, into the oven at 275 for 30 minutes as the package directed - with open windows and the exhaust fan running.

I let the pendant cool overnight and then painted it with some silver paint I had on hand. I used two coats of silver paint.  I tried both spray paint and acrylic. The acrylic adhered better, but obscured some of the details.

Once the paint was dry I filled in the depressions with a black Sharpie, then smudged the ink to give it a patina. It's not an exact replica, but its not bad for a few minutes work with materials I had on hand.

Oddly, the first one I made disappeared. I spray painted it outside. Maybe it blew away. So, take two:
I made this one smaller - so I used smaller tools

The back of the flower (and my green fingers)

Scoring the base 

Right before it went into the oven

Now, I just need to string about a million tiny pearl beads onto an elastic for the necklace....

Fortunately I found 100 pearl beads for about $2; the cord cost another $2.50. I made this for about $5 - an inexpensive accessory. The finished product lacks the beauty and flow of the original piece, but it will be fine for a 6 year old.

This is what it looks like painted silver. I need to apply the patina still.

I don't think anyone will know who she is again this year. Not that she'll care. She is just thrilled to wear the beautiful dress and look like Lela. I think whoever goes trick or treating with her needs to dress like a 1960s biker or surfer. I wonder if there will be Teen Beach Movie trick or treat bags for sale somewhere?

If you decide to do this I have a few suggestions for improvements over my version:

1) Use a more appropriate color of polymer clay. Sculpey clay comes in silver or pewter which would eliminate the need to paint. It only costs about $2.50. You'll have left over for future projects. Plus- after being worn a few times the silver paint started to rub off and the green showed though. Note: Having tried both Fimo & Sculpey clays, the Sculpey was much, much easier to work with as a novice. The Fimo crumbled and didn't blend well. Also, Fimo bakes at a lower temperature - read the package if you use it.

2) Smooth the surfaces really well before putting it in the oven. I thought it would melt a bit and smooth out, but the surface stayed very rough where I poked it with the pencil tip. I've learned that regular rubbing alcohol helps smooth the surfaces.

You might even want to invest another $3.50 in actual polymer clay tools instead of using random household objects like I did.

Danielle strung all of the pearl beads! It took her about an hour
3) When you are using a Sharpie to apply the "patina" do a tiny, tiny section at at time so the ink doesn't dry before you blot it. If it dries dark black  it looks horrible and it's hard to correct. Use a stamp replacement ink pad to blot each tiny area. Tissues and cotton balls only worked so well. You could also paint small areas black with acrylic paint.

4) We used Bead Treasures 4 mm "glass Pearls". I paid $1.99 for 100. We used 2 packages, but you could get away with one. The first necklace was strung on fishing line. We used the thinnest stretch cord I could find for the second one.



UPDATE: Polymer clay is pretty durable, but certainly not unbreakable! Our pendant has been through quite a bit since I created it in August. At one point Danielle pulled the pendant off of the hanger. Another time, the dog we were caring for chewed right through the hanger. Both times it was easy to repair with a bottle of Translucent Liquid Sculpey. I just used it like glue and re-baked the pendant as directed on the Sculpey packaging. After cooling, the pendant was as good as new.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING THIS!



24 comments :

  1. Great job on the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Anything for your baby girl. I think the same thing. If you ever consider making one and selling it, please email me. Genny1111@aol.com :)
    Surf's Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make you one if you want LOL! Its not very good, but I can use more practice with the polymer clay. How about you string the tiny pearls yourself since its a pain in the neck? Email me if your serious and I'll get your address

      Delete
  3. My daughter wants the same costume. Thanks for the instructions! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to see another version. Please post a picture when you're done

      Delete
  4. Awesome job! I googled the necklace trying to hopefully buy one and came across your post! Your necklace is fabulous! You should sell them on Etsy possibly. Not everyone is that crafty. I found my dress on Ebay for $8.00. It's a used dress, I really lucked out. Now on to the necklace. I may try your method, but I am not very artistic. Thank you so much for your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too hard, really. Again, if you want I can make you the pendant part, but don't expect great art. Email your address :)

      Delete
  5. i need to find a teen beach movie costume for a sleepover birthday party do you know where i can find one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really sure - are you looking for a frilly nightgown like the girls wore?

      Delete
  6. My daughter wants the same exact costume for Halloween. Are you still making and selling the pendant? Thanks, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I might. I need to get caught up. Check the Etsy listing over the weekend.

      Delete
  7. Please! I'm desperate for one for my daughter. Are still making/selling? The link to your etsy reads as SOLD. Between work school and no creative know how I don't think I can make it. Please let me know. I'd love to purchase one. Rigriffin at gmail dot com. Thank you, Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if I can do this, you can, too. Trust me. It's not rocket science! However, if I get caught up - and there are no complaints from customers - I'll list the pendant on Etsy again. Thanks so much for your interest!

      Delete
  8. I would LOVE to purchase a necklace. Even your directions sounded complicated to me! Please let me know if I can order one from you! dulcinea21bella@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry the directions seem complicated! You could simplify it by using a tiny heart shaped cookie cutter to form the leaves of the flower, but I can't think of anything that you could use to make the base. Trust me, I wish I could break it down into a 10 minute process! Now that I've spent 15 hours making these I'm pretty tired of creating tiny flowers and diamonds. Clay is forgiving - just like PlayDo- get some and give it a try. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you willing to make and sell more pendants? Please let me know if you are. I would love to have one.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a couple last night, worked perfect, thanks for directions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Gonna try sometime soon.

    Thanks for the instructions

    ~Missy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm doing a Lela thing and I've search everywhere for that kindof necklace! I was wondering if you could make one for me? I'm horrible at working with clay, but I can sew. here's my email: angelwingzaf@aol.com
    ~Angelica

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so easy.my friend has polymer clay, she can easily do it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.