Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My oh, my oh – Mysticism!

I push the Ouija board. I always have. I just don’t believe in mysticism.
So every morning when I drop Danielle at school and one of the mothers suggests that we bring Amanda to a Pranic Healer I want to hide.  According to the official Pranic Healing website,” Pranic Healing® requires no drugs, gadgets, not even physical contact with the subject. Physical contact is not required because the practitioner is working on the bioplasmic or energy body and not directly on the physical body.[i]
This woman is convinced that pranic healing can not only mend Amanda’s broken hip, but cure her of autism. Forgive me if I doubt either claim.
She has told me that this healer can cut his hand and close the wound within half an hour. She has told me that he cured her own son who was diagnosed as having Asperger’s Syndrome. I admire her faith and enthusiasm, but I have met her son many times. He doesn’t make eye contact. He doesn’t respond to questions directed to him. Mainly, he sits by himself and plays on his I Pad. I have never heard him speak. I wonder what behaviors the master “healed.”
Now she has arranged to have this pranic master come to Danielle’s school to perform “healings”. She has explained that “this is the opportunity of a lifetime” because thousands of people in India line up to have him heal them. Well, thousands of people in India bathe in the River Ganges for spiritual cleansing and healing, but I doubt the wisdom of that as well given the contaminants in the water.
The fee is only $100 for 10-15 minutes of his time. She says that she made this special arrangement with him because she was tired of driving her son an hour back and forth to Atlanta. I tried to politely avoid the situation by explaining that I couldn’t transport Amanda by myself yet. She countered with the claim that this master could perform a “distance healing” on Amanda. All I would have to do is pay the fee and he would send his psychic energy to her in our home.  Of course, my first thought was if he can do these distance healings, why did she bother to drive to Atlanta, and conversely, why would he be willing to drive up to Alpharetta?
It reminds me of the time a dear friend hired a “pet psychic” because her cat was peeing in their laundry basket – on top of the clean clothes. Again, this psychic was able to communicate with the cat through distances so she simply called on the phone. [ii] I have a mental image of my friend forcefully holding the phone up to her disgruntled cat’s ear.  Guess what the pet psychic said? She said that the cat was “angry”. Well, duh, he was just held up to a phone for 30 minutes. The psychic probably put on some muzak and walked away. My friend was out $85 and her cat still peed on the clean laundry.
I place my faith in science and modern medicine. However, I acknowledge that there are many cultures that practice alternative medicine and that in some instances, for some individuals, these practices appear to work. It is similar to the”laying on of hands” some Christian groups practice although I imagine that they might resent the comparison.  I can’t help thinking of the 1992 movie, Leap of Faith, where Steve Martin plays a bogus faith healer. In the movie when asked if he is a true believer he responds, "If I get the job done, what difference does it make?"


 [i] http://www.pranichealing.com/what-pranic-healing

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.