Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Do The Math

Budgeting|Frugal|Lifestyle
I have a friend who teases me that I always "do the math." Its true. I do. I rarely think "oh, that's only $75 more a month." My mind immediately jumps to "that's an additional $900 a year."

When I was a kid my mother taught me to mentally add the cost of my groceries as I shopped. Back in the dark ages it was a lot easier because I figured out that the items averaged $1 a piece. All I had to do was keep a count and then I'd be able to estimate my total. Now, with a big bottle of laundry detergent costing almost $20 it's a lot harder. Still, I'm normally within about $5 of the total once everything is rung up.  I actually switched groceries stores because I estimated that the average cost of items was 20 cents less at one store. I realized that if I typically buy 100 items I'd save $20 a week (or over $1,000 a year.) No brainer.

Same thing with personal services. Around here a cut and color costs about $150. If I color it myself and get a trim at Great Clips I save $130 a month (more than $1500 a year.) No one even noticed when I made the switch - except the time that I accidentally bought the wrong brand, but that's a whole 'nother blog. I don't get a weekly mani/pedi because at $25 a week it's $1300 a year. Those three small changes saved us $3,800 a year - that's a nice vacation, the down payment on a new car, or who knows what else. 

Now if I could talk myself into giving up takeout food... A pizza each week costs more than $1,000 over the course of a year. A daily grande latte adds up to more than $900 a year - and at 190 calories each it's a good thing to drop from my routine.

I don't make any decision without mentally doing the math. I calculate a cost/benefit analysis almost automatically. Some things are definitely worth paying someone else to do. They are too complicated or too dangerous. Sometimes its just nice to have someone else take care of you, to pamper you. I just think its important to realize what you may be giving up in exchange. Personally, I'll take a week at the beach  over a weekly manicure any day.

It's a matter of looking at the big picture.

Can I sacrifice a moment's happiness or convenience for something in the future? Sometimes the answer is "no". Sometimes I want the overpriced cup of coffee or the quick dinner. Sometimes I need the help. Sometimes I just want to look and feel pretty. As long as I understand what I'm sacrificing, it's okay.

We live in a society where we all think we can "have it all." I'm not sure why we think that. My parents grew up at the tail end of The Great Depression and during World War II. I grew up hearing stories about backyard victory gardens and gas rationing tickets. I never expected to have it all. I'm happy to have "some". The nice thing about not having everything is that, just like when you were a child, when you get what you want it feels special. It gives little treats that Christmas morning feel.

Also, I realize that I have so much more than many people. I get to make the choice between luxuries rather than necessities. I'm not challenged with considering whether I should pay the electric bill or buy groceries. I understand that my desire to take an annual vacation is as much a luxury as getting regular spa treatments.

I'm not judging. We all make our own choices. I just think we should try to make informed decisions - you know, "do the math."

1 comment :

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.