Monday, May 30, 2011

Full Hair and Makeup

For 14 years, almost a third of my life now, I've lived in "The South". And down here it is clearly still capitalized, as if they actually managed to secede in the 1860s. Amazingly there are clear cultural differences between The North and The South.

For instance, the concept of full hair and makeup. Frankly, with two kids I'm happy if I sneak in a shower every day. The idea that I could and should put on make up and style my hair before dropping Danielle at preschool seems alien.

Yet I remember my Mom never left the house "without her eyebrows on". Every morning Mom put on eyebrow pencil, blush and lipstick without fail. Even on Christmas morning, even in the nursing home during her last days  I can't remember her with out Maybelline Coral lips.

My Southern friends always greet me with delight when they see me in makeup. I get not-so-subtle compliments like "You look so nice when you take the time to put on a little makeup" or, my personal favorite, ""oh, you are pretty!" (said with honest surprise.)

So I will now go upstairs and before I wake Sleeping Beauty I will put on makeup - well, at least some moisturizer.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.