Friday, September 21, 2012

Dora the Explorer Birthday Party

Birthday Party|Dora the Explorer|Dora|preschool party|Backpack Goody Bag

I think my obsession with birthday parties started when Danielle was three. Up until then all of our birthday parties were simple, run of the mill parties. We had them in the backyard, bowling alley or Chuck E Cheese. No fuss, no muss - no themes. And, then Danielle discovered Dora and I went a little crazy.

Danielle had 2 guests and her cousins at her third birthday party. There is NO WAY I should have made a big deal out of this. But I did.

Like all addictions, it snuck up on me slowly. I started by ordering a Dora birthday cake from the grocery store. I bought Dora hats, tablecloths and a Dora pinata.

 
I think it was then that I had my epiphany. I themed her party after an episode of the TV show. I made goodie bags that looked like Backpack, complete with The Map sticking out of a side "pocket". I used purple gift bags. I printed the faces from a Nick Jr online BackPack craft.



I drew a big Map on a piece of poster board and the kids raced around the yard following it to the surprise at the end - Danielle's first bike. I made a few more things and created obstacles out of items we had around the house.

 
I wrote a story including the kids that I read before they went on their big adventure. In the story they followed the map through Butterfly Garden where an evil witch had shrunken all of the animals in the jungle. Before the party the girls helped me make coffee filter butterflies. I bought miniature zoo animals and magnifying glasses. The kids added these to their goodie bags.

 
 
 
Next they had to get past the Bo Bo brothers at Monkey Mountain. I know they are from Diego, but these were 3 year olds! They threw bananas at a monkey bean bag toss to distract those silly Bo Bos. They added small stuffed monkeys to their bags for getting past the Bo Bos


Danielle's teen aged cousin Kiera graciously donned a homemade Swiper mask and jumped out at the kids while they yelled "Swiper, no swiping!"  I used a purple foam mask and decorated it with foam cutouts. I glued orange foam ears to a plastic headband. I didn't think it was very realistic, but one child ran screaming from her!

The kids had to reach Rainbow Tunnel (a crawl tube) to free the remaining (stuffed) animals from a cage (made from a box with duct tape "bars"). When the animals were free everyone got a plastic medal.


 
 
It was easy and inexpensive. Best of all it was so much fun. I was hooked on theme birthday parties from that moment forward.





 

2 comments :

  1. I am so glad I saw your blog! I am in the middle of planning my little girls' Dora themed party. How did you get the side pocked on the gift bags? What did you use for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking! I used a regular purple gift bag and plain purple constuction paper. I just traced one side on the bag onto the paper so I would have the size right. I glued the construction paper along both sides and the bottom using white glue. When it was dry I slipped The Map in the new pocket.

      Delete

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.