Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"A Farm in the Country..."

Parenting|Givign Away Pet|Telling Children|Pet Adoption|Honesty
A while ago the parents of one of Danielle's friends decided to get rid of all of their pets. They had gotten the pets to teach their kids responsibility.

It didn't work.

The kids were bored with the pets and the parents didn't feel like taking care of them. So they posted an ad on Craigslist and gave away the guinea pig, rabbits and mice including the hutches and cages.

At the time the mother asked me not to tell her kids what she did. She told them that they went to live with wild animals in the woods. "We don't want them to think we're the kind of people who just give away their pets", she said.

"But you are," I thought. It reminded me of every TV sitcom where the parents tell the child that his dog has gone to live on a farm in the country.

Yesterday Danielle asked what happened to the animals. I told her, "Mrs. X said they went to live in the woods."

Danielle thought quietly for a moment and then asked,"So, where did all the cages go?"

Smart girl! I decided to tell her the truth. That the family didn't have time to care for the pets and gave them to good homes. It seemed far more compassionate than letting her think they neglected the animals and they all ran away.

"Why did she say they went to live in the woods?" Danielle asked.

Hmmmm... how to deal with this one?  Tell her the woman lied? Tell her that her friend isn't as bright and hadn't connected the missing cages to the missing pets? Again, I decided on honesty.

"She didn't want the kids to be sad that they gave them away. I think she thought they would be happier thinking they were wild and free."

"What about hawks? and coyotes? Won't the kids worry that they'll be eaten?" asked Danielle.

I sighed. "I'm not sure, honey," I finally said."But aren't you happier knowing they are safe?"

"Sure," said Danielle with a smile."And maybe the new family won't be liars."

Out of the mouths of babes! I don't know what lesson Danielle's friends got from this experience, but I know what Danielle has learned - the truth is always better than a lie.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.