Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Tangled Tale...or the Tale of Tangles

Detangler|Child
me, totally tangled
I think tangles must be hereditary. 

I grew up with thick, curly hair. When I was five I asked my mother to let me grow it out.  My mother agreed as long as I "took care of it" by myself. I tried. I honestly did.

But I couldn't reach the back of my head so I invariably walked around with mats.  I probably looked like a feral child dressed in polyester pants.

I remember battles when my mother finally got sick of it and took charge - typically before a visit to my grandparents' house. I screamed while my mother valiantly wielded a brush and a pair of scissors to make me socially acceptable.



I vowed not to go through that with my kids with the passion that only an angry nine year old can have. I got lucky with Amanda. She has gorgeous, glossy hair with a little wave that rarely tangles. In fact it is so lovely that every three years or so we have it cut and donated to Locks of Love.



Not my proudest moment
- she looks like she has dreadlocks
Danielle, on the other hand, has fine, straight hair that tangles when the wind blows. She can leave the house with every tangle combed out only to have them regenerate as if by magic. She has learned to hide it under a hat in public. Every picture from a recent trip to Walt Disney World features Danielle in a pink Belle baseball cap.


We have epic battles about her hair despite my best efforts to remain calm and be gentle.

When she was 3 she said,"can't you cut it instead of brushing it?" Out came the scissors. Five minutes later she had a Dorothy Hamill haircut straight from the 1970s. I thought that it looked adorable. She thought she looked "like a boy".

I don't want to go there again, but I can't live with the daily drama. The hair battles make us late for school, gymnastics and birthday parties. It has to end - NOW.

So I'm on a quest to tackle the tangles without tormenting my child. After all, I owe my nine year old self.

I've tried all of the No More Tangles type sprays with no luck. I've tried rinse out conditioners after shampooing. So far nothing has helped. Clearly the kids shampoos and conditioners aren't going to cut it.

Time to call in the heavy artillery. Here are the weapons that I acquired:

Using the Wet Brush in the tub really worked - to my surprise!
Gentle and nearly tangle free the first time through

Conditioner - $11
Brush & Pillow Case - $16
No more morning battles - PRICELESS!!




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.