Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Two Egg Birthday Cake Recipe

Baking|Recipes|2 Egg Cake

Baking my own Birthday Cake

Danielle was sad that I didn't have a birthday cake so I wanted to make one with what I had on hand. We had regular flour, sugar, 2 eggs, half a pound of butter.... nothing really stellar. I figured I'd make a basic yellow cake with a butter cream frosting. If I could make it out of only 2 eggs and 2 sticks of butter.

I did find some odd ingredients in the pantry - orange extract and a tube of marzipan. Probably left over from a Christmas baking project that I never completed. My favorite cake of my entire life was my wedding cake. We had a light white cake with Grand Marnier cream filling, coated in marzipan. Heaven! I decided to improvise a kid-friendly version of that cake with the available ingredients.

I made an orange cake with an almond buttercream filling. Needing to save 1 stick of butter for the frosting I cut the butter in the original cake recipe in half.The marzipan filling was very sweet and dense so I frosted with it DreamWhip since it was in the cupboard. Here's how it came out!
  

Old Fashioned Orange Cake

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 stick butter or margarine
 2 eggs

2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 teaspoon orange flavoring

Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs. Sift together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk (add flavorings to milk). Then mix until smooth and creamy.

Cook in two 9" greased and floured pans or spray pans with Pam. Bake in 350

degrees F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pans.

Marzipan Buttercream Frosting

1/2 - 1 package almond paste (marzipan), grated
1 stick (8 tablespoons) soft butter
(1 tsp almond extract if using less marzipan)
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
Add grated Marzipan and butter into a medium bowl. Beat on low until combined. Turn speed to high and beat into a smooth paste.

Add sugar and hot water. Beat on low until combined. Turn mixer to high and beat until smooth. If frosting is too stiff, add one teaspoon of hot water at a time until desired spreading consistency is reached.

DreamWhip Quick Cake Frosting

1 package Dream Whip
1 1/3 cups cold milk
 1 package vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
  1. Beat all ingredients until moistened.
  2. Beat frosting on high 4-5 minutes until soft peaks form.
  3. Frost cooled dream whip cake.
  4. Refrigerate leftovers. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.