Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Hollow Tree Leprechaun Trap

St. Patrick's Day|Leprechaun Trap|Hollow Tree Leprechaun trap}Recycled Materials Leprechaun Trap|St. Patty's Day
Clearly, I don't have enough to do with my days.. at least this morning I didn't. I could have done the dishes. I could have folded laundry. I could have made that doctor's appointment I've been putting off or gotten my car emissions checked. Instead, I built a leprechaun trap.


 

I plan to use this as a centerpiece at my St. Patrick's Day party in March. I'll drop a battery operated tea light inside to illuminate it and surround the base with Easter grass.

I'm sure that the leprechaun traps the kids make at the party will be much cuter and more imaginative. I'll post pictures of their masterpieces next month.

My materials mainly came from the recycling bin and things we had around the house:
  • an empty wipes tube
  • paper towels or Kleenex for papier mache
  • a paper plate cut to form an arc for the rainbow
  • acrylic craft paint
  • pot of gold floral pick from Hobby Lobby (less than $1)
  • glue
  • pebbles
  • glitter
  • green paper basket shreds
 
 
First I cut a small door at the bottom of the wipes tube. I did this so I could reach in and place the "bait". I'll put bars or something across it later so the little leprechaun can't escape.
 
 
I made a paste from 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup of water. I soaked 3 or 4 paper towels in it and wrapped the tube. I thought this might make it easier to paint. It also gives it a bark-like appearance. I stuck the "tree" on to a piece of cardboard so I could make "roots".
It also contained the mess!
 

I let my hollow tree dry overnight and then painted it brown inside & out.

When the paint was dry I filled the center with pebbles from the yard, a tiny cauldron of "gold" and lots of gold glitter.
 
 
I made a glitter path leading to the hollow tree to entice the leprechaun.
 
Here's the trap! The leprechaun won't be able to get in the little door so he'll climb the tree. He'll spot this gold rope and use it to climb down into the tree. When he does - snap!- his weight will pull the trap door (one side of a spool of ribbon) shut.
 
 
I don't know if it will catch any leprechauns, but it certainly interested our cat!
 

The Kids Masterpiece



 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.