Saturday, February 16, 2013

Around and Between Walt Disney World Parks

wdw|disney|disney world transportation|Friendship boats|Walt Disney Railroad|Walt Disney World ferry|monorail|travel around Disney|travel between Disney Parks|accessible travel at Disney World
I have a passion for Disney World that makes most of my friends laugh.  I'm not exactly sure why I love it so much. I think mainly because it is exquisitely organized which appeals to my OCD nature.

My first introduction to WDW was not as a park guest but as a participant in a Disney training course for human resource managers. It defined the way I view Disney World to this day.

I learned how carefully designed and controlled the environment is from the inside (technically from the underground). I was taken through the tunnels where Cast Members dress and take their breaks. I saw where the cookies are baked - and the vents that shunt the steam to strategic sites to enhance Guests' appetites. While admittedly manipulative, you have to admire the marketing mastery.

I made it a personal mission to find a piece of trash on the ground during my stay. I didn't see one. Partly because in designing the Parks Walt Disney observed other parks and discovered that a person will only walk 30 paces before dropping a piece of trash. Therefore, there are trash cans spaced roughly every 30 steps throughout the parks. And, for those guests who can't even walk 30 steps without littering there are omnipresent Cast Members on the lookout for errant wrappers and bits of paper.

One of my favorite aspects of Walt Disney World is the wonderfully designed free transportation system within and between the Parks and Resorts. For detailed information about wheelchair access please see  my previous transportation post.

The Friendship boats in EPCOT will take you across the lake between Future World and the World Showcase. They save you about 1/3 of a mile of walking and are a nice way to see the World Showcase. However, even though they are air conditioned they can feel stuffy & hot. I prefer to sit in the open back area when I can.

The Walt Disney World Railroad is a nice, open air ride between the worlds of the Magic Kingdom.

I didn't find the Main Street entrance until my third visit. Turns out that you have to go upstairs in the train station to actually board the trains at the entrance. There is a ramp for handicap access.

The train stops in Fantasyland behind the new Casy Jr. Splash & Soak Station and in  Frontierland by Big Thunder Mountain.  Again, this can save you a half mile or more of walking, depending on where you ride.






I love the futuristic feel of the monorail. It's a cool (air conditioned!) way to get to EPCOT or the Magic Kingdom from the parking lots. It's also a way to get between the two Parks without getting back into your car. To get to Epcot, from the Magic Kingdom, you need to take the Express Monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and then switch to the Epcot Monorail.


 
 
 
What I love most are the boats. Taking the ferry to the Magic Kingdom takes my breath away every visit. I love seeing Cinderella Castle across the water. It builds up the anticipation in a way that the monorail just can't.






You can also take the Ferry back to the TTC and then hop the monorail to EPCOT.

Most people don't realize there is a comprehensive boat system that runs between several of the Parks as well as many of the Resorts. I think the boat ride is the best way to move between EPCOT and Hollywood Studios - and you don't have to get in your car. All you have to do is exit EPCOT from the International (back) gate in the World Showcase. It's between the United Kingdom and France Pavilions. If you’re used to parking in the main lot or arriving by Disney Monorail or bus then you've probably only entered through the main entrance. 

Here is the map of the water route between EPCOT World Showcase and Disney Hollywood Studios. It's an easy, air conditioned, wheelchair accessible 40 minute trip between the two Parks. You can walk the distance in the same amount of time - if you don't have young kids with you , or you aren't pushing a wheelchair.

The boats do make several stops. If you like you can get out at one of the resorts along the way for a snack, a meal or a quick tour before heading on to the next Park.


This is the best overview of the boats within the Walt Disney World Resort that I have been able to find. Download a Disney Boat Route Map. Thank you, ExploringWDW.com!

Bus is the only way to get to Animal Kingdom from the Resorts or other Parks (other than by car.) I'm sure this is because Animal Kingdom was built long after the rest of the Parks and surrounding areas had been developed. While I don't care for the inclusion of buses, they run regularly, are wheelchair accessible and free.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.