Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Surgically Assisted Rapid Palate Expansion (SARPE) from a Parent's Perspective

SARPE|Surgically Assisted Rapid Palate Expansion|UPPP|craniofacial surgery|special needs

 
This is the roof of Amanda's mouth. You can see that her palate (roof of her mouth) is only several centimeters across at the top. As a result of this narrowing her teeth are overcrowded and crooked. She has had several teeth pulled, but it hasn't helped enough.

Now she has to have surgery to correct the problem. Since she is nonverbal it is hard for me to know if she understands what will be happening. It's also hard to know how she will be feeling after the surgery.

Luckily for us there are lots of firsthand experience blogs online for me to reference. I contacted Brandi at Happygoplucky as her surgery was just completed this summer. She was realyl nice - wrote back immediately. I'm sure I'll be in contact with her often as Amanda recuperates.

So, future posts will be on our experiences as parents, rather than as patients. I hope that we can help other parents whose child with special needs - or without- has to undergo this surgery. Stay tuned.

I have just register my blog with Technorati. It will help my blog appear on more searches. I just  need to publish this

claim token: HHZJ48ARHN89

http://www.imperfectlypossible.com//feeds/posts/default

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.