Friday, May 11, 2012

Walt Disney World -Magic Tricks 2 (Not Rocket Science)

Disney Toys|Bargain|Souvenirs
The Pre-emptive Souvenir Strike

The count down to our biennial pilgrimage to Walt Disney World has begun. I honestly enjoy planning for trips - it's the anticipation. I like thinking about what we'll do, where we'll go, etc.  I always order the Disney planning DVD and the free customized maps from the Disney site. The maps come with your family name printed on each one. They are fun to hang on the walls and talk to the girls about what they would like to do at each park. They also make a really nice customized free souvenir.

Next I go to Dollar Tree and stock up on inexpensive Disney themed items. This year I found plastic figurines, digital Disney character watches, swim masks, beach balls & "floaties", Princess jewelry, Mickey & friends coloring books and lots of Cars items. I even found Toy Story tissue packets.I also bought glow necklaces & bracelets (2-5 per pack), battery operated personal fans (batteries included) and cooling neck scarves all for $1 each. I even got a Crayola Recoloritz Princess & the Frog book ( its $19.99 from the online Crayola Store)! Dollar Tree sells  a variety of light up toys (yo yos, etc.) as well as novelty glow sticks like swords and magic wands. Any glowing item is a hit at a nighttime parade or fireworks. I spent about $20 for everything - about the cost of one fancy glow toy at Disney. 

Some of my $1 items
Keeping cool is always a priority at Disney World. All of the parks sell misting fans for about $15-20. Picked up a misting fan at our hometown drugstore for about $7. I  also  ordered a few items from Amazon since we'll be there at a hot time of year. I ordered a Radio Flyer Umbrella Accessoryand a Dreambaby Stroller Fan, White/Blue to attach to Amanda's wheelchair. The total  cost was $33 so the order qualified for Free Super Saver Shipping. If it keeps Amanda happy and cool its worth several times that. So, I'm up to just over $50 before I even hit Florida. Doesn't sound like a money saving strategy, does it?

Next I checked the sale section of Disney Store Online. The deals are good - there is even authentic park merchandise online. Danielle wants "Duffy the Disney Bear" because she has a collection of teddy bears from various places. If we buy one at the park it will cost $30-$45 depending on the accessories. If I buy the clearance 2011 Duffy online it costs only $9.99. Amanda, who loves characters, got a $7 Disney autograph book online and will collect autographs. My souvenirs are always the same. I bought a new $5 lanyard pouch to carry our park passes, Photopass card and my credit card. No point in messing with a wallet or pocket book. This system keeps my hands free and guarantees that I always know where these key items are. No accidentally leaving them on a ride - or being pick pocketed. If you plan it right and score free shipping, you can get more items. This time I found a code for any order ships for free with the purchase of any Marvel product. Add a Spiderman Tshirt for Kevin and I get free shipping! I've spent another $26, but I've got four souvenirs!

I'm up to roughly  $75 - or the cost of 2-3 items in most Park gift stores, but I have tons of stuff. Amanda will collect autographs with her new book.  Danielle will collect pressed pennies. She already has several from Atlanta area attractions so she is excited about expanding her collection. Each pressed penny costs 51 cents - a shiny penny to press and 50 cents to operate the machine. The quest to find a penny pressing machine in each park can be fun. 
Taken by A Photopass Photographer with my camera
This is my big splurge - I immediately get a Photopass from the nearest Photopass photographer (look for anyone in a tan vest with a tripod!). Photopass photographers are all over the parks at key vantage points in front of major icons. They take great - often unique photos. One of my favorites is one of me and Danielle in front of Cinderella castle at night. My own camera never would have managed the color balance in the dark. Getting the pictures taken is free. There is no obligation to buy them - and most of the photographers will also happily take a picture with your own camera as well.

This month (April 2012) Disney offers a Photopass+ package which includes more than I can mention here - and costs more than I care to spend ($199.95). This is probably a good deal if you plan on buying photos from rides, character meals and character spots since you won't have to buy the individual prints and it will include any other photopass pictures you have taken. I think it may also include any photos your little princess gets taken at Bibbiddi Bobbidty Boutique (which cost a pretty penny on their own.) I can barely get Danielle to let me brush her hair - professional hair & makeup are definitely out for this trip! We're also not planning to go on any character meals or  riding the popular rides like Space Mountain or Tower of Terror this time around. So for my family, this would be a huge waste of money.

For about $80 you can make a custom Disney photo album incorporating any of your Photopass pictures as well as any that you upload from your own camera. In the past I've purchased the copyright to the photos to make my own prints from an online photo service like Shutterfly. It looks as if I can still order Digital Photo Downloads for $14.95 each. Sometimes there are discounts for $9.99 downloads listed on their website. Last time I skipped the album and instead purchased the rights to 4 photos that I loved and used them to make prints, holiday cards, etc. I was also able to include them with the pictures we took ourselves when making a photo album on Shutterfly. I know that $40-60 seems like a lot for 4 photos, but its less than half what the CD costs. It depends on how many photos you want.

This is an excellent description of the Photopass program from the Disney Moms Panel comparing both Photopass options.

There will always be things that you or your kids want to buy at the parks. Sometimes buying some things in advance saves you money - other times it just ends up costing you more. It all depends on your focus. Amanda won't ask for souvenirs, but I'll want to buy her some. I try to limit Danielle to one souvenir per park - not per day. That way she gets 4 souvenirs for the trip. Other families set a budget for their kids, but neither of mine have a strong grasp of money yet so this is our strategy for this trip. Maybe next time I'll do things differently.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.