Friday, March 8, 2013

Chalkboard Disney Count Down DIY Tutorial

countdown to Disney idea|WDW|Disney World|Minnie Mouse craft|Chalkboard tutorial|Mickey Mouse craft|Disney Countdown|Mickey chalkboard DIY|Minnie Chalkboard Tutorial
Last time we went to Disney I drew a countdown in chalk on our sidewalk. It was a fun project, but this time I wanted something more permanent. I saw a really nice Disney chalkboard countdown sign on Etsy. I wanted to buy it but it was $18 plus $3.50 for shipping. I thought I could make something similar for a lot less.

I made mine for under $5. Not including drying time, it took me less than 10 minutes to put together.

My Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse Chalkboards


This project was very inexpensive because I already owned the chalkboard paint and the glue.  I spent a total of $3.32 for the wooden circles and the ribbon.

The Mickey version cost just over $2.00 - 97 cents for the large circle at Wal Mart and 59 cents for each smaller circle from Michael's.

Step One


Paint a large wooden circle (97 cents from Wal Mart) with chalkboard paint. I used 3 coats.

 
Chalkboard paint comes in a lot of colors. It is about $7 a bottle at Jo Ann's or Michael's. Use a 40% off coupon to cut that to $4.20. You can get coupons online or on yur phone.
 
You can get black chalkboard spray paint at WalMart for about $5.


Step Two


Glue on "ears" using smaller circles. These were pre-painted Smile faces from Hobby Lobby (67 cents each). I just flipped them over for the plain black side. There are lots of similar circles (balls, etc.) that you could use.

I glued them on with Liquid Nails. You could use hot glue or wood glue if that's what you have. I used another little pre-painted form that I already had to hold the large circle level while the glue dried.


Step Three


I didn't want to wait for more glue to dry so I stapled a ribbon loop to the back and covered the staple with a little bow. Glue the ribbon loop to the back if you are more patient than I am. I think this would be better if you are making an all black Mickey Mouse. Then you wouldn't need the bow. The ribbon cost 99 cents and I have most of the spool left for another project.


Voila!

My finished product! Actual time working was less than 10 minutes. I'm pretty pleased with the result. You could add vinyl letters with "days til Disney" along the bottom and then just write a new number in chalk every day. I used a paint pen on the Mickey Mouse version.

 
 


 
Maybe not as cute or professional as the ones I saw on Etsy,
but I have $18 left over that I can spend on my trip!
 
You can also get countdown widgets and apps if you want something more hi tech. Start at 2disneydivas for a choice of desktop counters.

This last picture shows the scale - the chalkboard countdown is under two standard light switches.

1 comment :

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.