Saturday, December 3, 2011

Trash or Recycling?

When you live in the South you become somewhat inured to the shots the rest of the country takes at us. Even our own turn on us occasionally. In 1998 Jane Fonda notoriously referred to parts of Georgia as resembling a third world country. Jeff Foxworthy has made a fortune disparaging the South.

There are a lot of jokes about rednecks and white trash.  We call a lovely stretch of the Gulf Coast the "Redneck Riviera." We even make a tongue in cheek Christmas treat called White Trash - if Alton Brown has a recipe for it it can't be all bad.

There is also a lot of debate regarding the subtle differentiation between rednecks and white trash. I'm not sure I'm completely clear on the difference, myself. I think if you are one, you think the other is worse...for instance, white trash say rednecks cause trouble; rednecks say white trash don't pay child support.

Having lived in the South for 14 years now I've discovered that my initial perceptions about these groups were often - but not always!- wrong. The other night I needed to go to Wal-Mart at 10PM. When I saw a man in camouflage coveralls, smoking and carrying a sleepy two year old I initially thought, "white trash." Then, he stopped me and said politely, "Ma'am, do you know where they keep the diapers? The wife went out with her friends and we ran out." Not white trash; nice dad. My bad.

That said, there is no shortage of trash down here (white or any other color). While camouflage clothing has a real (but limited) use I refuse to consider women who wear a poncho without a shirt anything more than trash.  Truthfully, it comes down to a perception of worthlessness. Call them what you will there are unfortunately adults who don't accept conventional standards for social responsibility. They may neglect their children, drink while driving, have trouble holding down a job, use drugs...

The question for me is - are they really trash or are they capable of being recycled?

 http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/2009/04/what-is-white-trash.html

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! I love hearing from you.